Thanks to our Guest Blogger of the week for Vaseline!
How to Keep Your Skin Healthy & Hydrated this Fall
With the cooler, fresher weather of fall now upon us, you might start to notice your skin feeling drier and flakier than usual. It seems to be an annual occurrence – a skin issue that’s forgotten about during the height of summer, and one that reappears as soon as the first leaf falls.
But keeping skin healthy and hydrated during the changing seasons is not as difficult as you might think. From how to get rid of dry skin naturally, to the products that’ll give your skin a real boost – here’s a simple guide on how you can look after your skin, to keep it looking and feeling great all year round.
• Moisturize just after you’ve washed your face. The best time to keep the moisture in your skin is when it’s already slightly damp. Just dab on your moisturizer once you’ve wiped your face with a clean towel and then pat away any excess after a minute or so – your face will feel soft and smooth throughout the day.
• Use petroleum jelly. That jar of Vaseline you have stashed away is a great way of moisturizing your skin with none of the additional, skin-stripping chemicals. This no-nonsense balm does wonders for soothing and moisturizing cracked skin – with regular use, you’ll never have to worry how to get rid of dry skin again.
• Drink plenty of water. There are so many advantages to drinking water and one of them is hydrated, radiant-looking skin. If you feel parched on the inside, your skin will look parched on the outside, so make sure you regularly drink water throughout the day to prevent this problem.
• Eats lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. You can’t underestimate how good fruit and veg is for you. Not only do you get all the hydrating benefits from consuming lots of water, they also contain lots of antioxidants that help to give you healthy-looking skin.
• Dial down the temperature of your shower. With winter coming up, it’s tempting to take long, hot showers. But hot water actually dries out your skin. Next time you shower, try using lukewarm water instead.
• Avoid regular soaps and harsh cleansers. Many face products that we use to clean our face can actually strip the natural oils and lipids from the surface of our skin. So it’s important to choose face cleansers that are mild, fragrance-free and leave your skin hydrated.
• Use a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30. It’s doesn’t matter if it’s sunny or rainy, your skin needs protection from the sun’s rays during the day – so make sure you’re armed with a moisturizer with a high SPF.
• Try home remedies. Did you know that your kitchen is a treasure trove of dry skin remedies? Here are a few favorites:
• Milk: Did you know that milk helps to exfoliate, soothe, and retain the moisture in your skin? Dip a cloth into cold milk and gently massage a thin layer onto your face. Leave for a few minutes and then wipe away with a clean cloth to reveal soft, pampered skin.
• Olive oil: containing lot of antioxidants and fatty acids, olive oil is an amazing way of soothing dry skin and leaving it feeling silky. Apply to dry patches 20 minutes before showering and then wash away.
• Honey: Nature’s natural moisturizer is a great way of leaving your skin feeling indulgently smooth. Massage a thin layer of honey over your skin, leave for ten minutes and then wash away with warm water.
Still wondering how to get rid of dry skin? We didn’t think so. There are so many ways that you can protect yourself from dry skin this fall. So trade in the appearance of dry tightness for healthy, hydrated skin with our top tips above.