IT seems these days there are more and more cases of melanoma . many of us find ourselves in the midst of the harsh sun in the middle of the days, not really knowing or realizing what the sun is doing to our skin, as well as our health. Our skin is our biggest organ, and the sun rays can affect our health not only on the outside, but on the inside as well. It is known that to get our recommended daily Vitamin D, we only need sun about 20 minutes per day. We are not only getting more than our recommended allowance, but we are far exceeding the time it takes for sun damage to settle in. I see women every day going in and out of tanning salons. It astonishes me that these women are not concerned, nor really care about their skin health. I see women , young and old , who are starting to develop the Crepy skin. This is due from over exposure from the sun and years of sun damage.
Melanoma is serious. It is on the rise, and it doesn’t take years of sunbathing to get it. There are more than 200,000 cases each year. It is by far the most dangerous form of skin cancer. These skin cells can multiply and spread to other areas of the skin, and even into the organs. This is something to take serious. We all love vacationing. The most important thing to remember is to Sunbathe smart. Here are some great tips on keeping your skin healthy and vibrant as you age.
- Use a High SPF with both UVA And UVB protection – Try to buy SPF’s with star ratings. The best are ones with 4 stars. I love Aveda Sun blocks. They are rich , and high in factor ratings. Always apply your sunscreen at least 20 -30 minutes before heading into the sun.
- Apply your Sun screen everywhere. Apply it to the ears, nose, and even scalp. The lips need protection too. These are the areas where melanoma can set in .
- Don’t ever use sunscreen past the expiration date. The sunscreens become less effective with the expiration date.
- If you feel like sun bathing, try to lay under an umbrella, or a shade of some sort. Always wear a hat to protect your scalp, and sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- DONT ever use tanning beds. These are deadly. I truly have no idea why they are still legal.
- One of the best ways to protect your skin is to stay in during the hours of 11-3. These hours are when the sun is the strongest , and the rays are the strongest.
The most healthy way to beautiful skin is to love the skin you’re in. You don’t need to lay in the sun for hours on end, only to end up with wrinkled ,Crepy skin when you get older. You are taking risks every day that you put yourself in the sun. Stay protected.