Happy Friday! I know you are all aware of how much I love fitness. I love fitness in so many ways, that I cant even name them all. I have tried every single class it seems like known to man, and I cant seem to get enough of my day to day sweat sessions. As long as I sweat during a workout, I’m good. One of the exercises that I think most people forget about is Walking. Yes, the simple pleasure of walking. Walking doesn’t seem to be an “exercise’ to a lot of people, but I can tell you how much a person can benefit from it. Did you know that moderate walking atleast 30 minutes daily, can help reduce the risk of coronary artery disease, and can help with people’s blood sugar rising,and help to lower blood pressure. These are ailments that we need to consider as we get older. We have one of these things go wrong, then it could possibly be a life time of medications just to keep these ailments at bay. Getting on your walking shoes every day will help with these things , and its truly a great , relaxing thing to do on a gorgeous day. I love going to the city, because I absolutely love walking everywhere. As we age also, we have the risk of cancer , and walking has shown to decrease the risk of breast and colon cancer. One of my favorite things to do is grab a friend and take that nice walk. If you have a friend to chat with, you could walk for hours. ( at least I could.It not only helps with sickness as we age, its great for our wellbeing. It gives our minds time to calm and regroup. If you feel you are in a mental rut, take that hour walk, or even if its 20 minutes long. You will feel better after you have done it. You do not have to go join a class to get exercise in. It may not be a flashy exercise, or the “it” class, but you will definitely be doing something good for yourself. Walking , believe it or not, helps trim your waistline. it may not tone your body the same way a class would with weights, or kettle bells but it definitely would help with keeping the weight at bay. Walking is the easiest, and of course the cheapest way to get some cardio in. If you are new to trying to shed a few pounds, grab those walking shoes, and start off that way. I think you would be surprised at how much you would enjoy it. Not only for your body, but your peace of mind.
Happy Sunday, lovlies!
Last week, a few people asked me if I have any advice on stress management. Life can can get so chaotic, and everyone is trying to get from one function to another – whether it’s running kids around town, handling household duties for your family, or just getting ready for a big event!
Well, the way I deal with stress is through my workouts. I’m not one who stresses out too much. I may think, “Wow, when are things going to slow down?” but I won’t let stress ruin my day. I get up, I workout, and everything is better. Believe me, at this time in my life, my kids have so many things going on… But I keep grounded by maintaining my workouts and eating healthy and taking my supplements. In addition, here are some of my stress busters that I cherish; and, maybe you can make them a part of your life, too!
- Take a walk. I can’t tell you how many times I take walks, just for the peace and quiet. It gives me time to process everything going on in my busy life.
- Take a hot bath. Okay ladies, I am obsessed with baths. I literally call my bathroom my spa. I love baths, bath oils, and the big white fluffy robe to go along with it. Relax and enjoy!
- Meditation. I only started taking this up a month ago, and I can’t tell you how much it has changed my life. Fifteen minutes of meditation per day is all you need. It gives you time to rejuvenate your mind and body. My friend introduced me to this, and I have one word: Hooked!
- Deep breathing. Just taking 10 minutes a day to breathe deep and get in the now is so huge for your soul. In the future, I will be doing a tutorial on deep breathing, so be on the lookout for that!
- Dance! Who doesn’t have fun dancing?! Once a month, my girlfriends and I go out for a nice dinner, and then we hit a dance floor! Love it – keeps you young!
- Yoga. Yoga, especially hot yoga, is such a stress buster! Do it once, and trust me – you’ll be back in no time!
Live life by the day, ladies! Don’t worry about what’s in the future… Live in the moment! Love, -Melissa